Kelsi, I am so glad you had such a great experience! I have a level 2 fieldwork at a hand clinic so I would love to hear more about your experience to better prepare myself. It must have been really helpful to have had a splinting lab before seeing a bunch of splinting on your fieldwork. I feel like when hand therapy is discussed in class, professors often say that it can be easy to lose the occupation based/client centered aspect, so it is so great that your supervisors were able to make that part of their practice strong. Have a great summer break!!
Kelsi, I'm glad you had such a great experience. It is great that the practitioners you were with used occupation-based interventions and were evidence-based. I am sure you learned so much and got so much out of that experience. I am also looking forward to being at a facility for a longer period of time and getting able to treat clients and use everything we've learned!
Prior to listening to Michael Nesmith’s TED Talk I had never heard of universal design. Universal design is a concept to construct buildings and public spaces in such a way that everyone, regardless of their disabilities or abilities can access them. One example is automatic sliding doors. A person in a wheel chair, a mother with a stroller and kids, and an elderly person with a walker can all access the building without a problem compared to traditional doors. Universal design is meant to meet everyone’s needs and make sure everyone can access buildings in an easy and universal way. I loved listening to Michael Nesmith’s talk and hearing his own stories of interacting with others despite being deaf. Another area of occupational therapy that really excites me is home modification, especially adapting the home environment for seniors to live in place as they age. My grandparents are getting into their 90s now, so this...
For this neuro note I decided to watch a Ted talk on simple adaptations that can make life easier for individuals with Parkinson’s. Mihela Soneji was the speaker for this talk titled Simple Hacks for Life with Parkinson’s, and she personally became interested in Parkinson’s after her uncle was diagnosed with the disease. She noticed the way he struggled with basic, everyday tasks, so she wanted to develop simple solutions to make his life easier and help him to do basic things that he wanted to do. I thoroughly enjoyed the talk because everything she talked about aligned with occupational therapy and our heart to help people adapt to their situations and do activities that are meaningful to them. She mentioned that we needed to develop simple, human-centered solutions to the complex problems people might have. Client-centeredness and creative solutions to one’s challenges are at the core of OT. She also mentioned that we needed ...
I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the role of a certified driver rehabilitation specialist from our guest lecturer today and the process of assessing clients to determine whether they are safe to drive or not. I knew occupational therapists contributed to driving screenings and helped clients make modifications to their cars to be able to drive after an injury such as a spinal cord injury or as a disease progresses such as muscular dystrophy, but I did not what the assessment process entailed or treatment sessions involved. I understand now that driving specialists use a variety of screens such as vision screens, cognitive screens such as the MoCA and Trailmaking A and B, sensation screens, and strength screens to assess a client’s ability to perform tasks necessary to drive safely. I learned many ways occupational therapists can incorporate driving interventions into their sessions from today’s lecture. One intervention that could be used ...
Kelsi,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you had such a great experience! I have a level 2 fieldwork at a hand clinic so I would love to hear more about your experience to better prepare myself. It must have been really helpful to have had a splinting lab before seeing a bunch of splinting on your fieldwork. I feel like when hand therapy is discussed in class, professors often say that it can be easy to lose the occupation based/client centered aspect, so it is so great that your supervisors were able to make that part of their practice strong. Have a great summer break!!
Kelsi,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had such a great experience. It is great that the practitioners you were with used occupation-based interventions and were evidence-based. I am sure you learned so much and got so much out of that experience. I am also looking forward to being at a facility for a longer period of time and getting able to treat clients and use everything we've learned!